Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Neighbor Rules 101 - Are you a Nightmare Neighbor?

iStock_000041025734Small-250.jpgI love my neighborhood of Loganville, Georgia. First of all, I think my subdivision has great curb appeal. Spacious lots, wide streets, homeowners keep up their properties, and the HOA is active. Not to mention I have/had great neighbors! I don't have to go far at all for stores, restaurants, or fresh produce. There are several small businesses, and there is still a mix of city and country. Plus, the city is often putting on events and hosting opportunities for neighbors to get out and mingle.

Being that I'm a Realtor and have sold home in many different cities in Georgia, I know everyone doesn't feel as warm as I do about my neighborhood. Being a Realtor has actually given me a better appreciation for it! Prior to getting into real estate, I worked my 9-5, came home, pulled in my garage, and put the door down before I got out. I knew my neighbors to the left and right of me, but that was about it. Can you relate?

Becoming a real estate agent gave me the push to become more personable and day-by-day, it becomes more natural. Now, I have a general interest in people and my "wall" has come down significantly. I am now certain that we were not put on this earth to live in our safe "circles". Not that we have to become best friends with everyone we meet, but I believe there is always something I can learn from someone and vice versa. It could be as simple as sharing a smile! So having said that... ARE YOU A GOOD NEIGHBOR?

A good neighbor might be characterized as someone who’ll look after your home when you’re out of town by picking up your mail and watering your plants.  You’d most likely reciprocate for anyone who’d be so generous toward you.

In some cases, you might only be able to name one or two of your neighbors who would step up to that level of service.   Wouldn’t it be nice if more people on your street would be happy to make that offer?

The solution may just start with being a better neighbor first.  The following suggestions go a long way to improving your neighborhood and making new friends at the same time.
  • Meet your neighbors and exchange phone numbers and email addresses.  Agree with each other that you’ll let them know if you see something strange going on at their home. 
  • Slow down when driving through the neighborhood; it will make it safer and everyone will appreciate it. 
  • Control your dog: keep it on a leash; pick up after it; don’t let it bark too much.
  • Don’t park in front of your neighbor’s home.
  • Notify your immediate neighbors when you’re having remodeling done and ask them to let you know if any of the contractors cause damage to their property.
  • Let your neighbors know when you’re having a party and that there will be more cars on the street than usual.
  • Maintain your home and yard so that it adds to the beauty of the neighborhood.
  • Put your garbage out for collection on the correct day and bring the containers back in promptly.
In reality, it is fairly obvious; you just have to think of the things that you’d want from your neighbors.  Be friendly; don’t be noisy; offer a helping hand when available and respect each other’s boundaries.  Having a sense of community and that you all share the neighborhood can be underlying principles that will guide your behavior.

A good neighbor would be aware of suspicious activity and would call their neighbors and the police if warranted.  This might be something you can discuss with your neighbors.  Click here for a template to record your immediate neighbor’s contact information and keep readily available if needed.

If you'd like to be my neighbor (:o) or if you're just looking to relocate to or from Walton, Gwinnett, or surrounding counties, give me a call!

I'd love to see how I can assist you! 
Call me at 404-857-2508 or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment